By Betine van Zyl Smit
- Represents the 1st quantity to supply a whole assessment of the reception of historical drama from antiquity to the present
- Covers the interpretation, transmission, functionality, creation, and model of Greek tragedy from the time the performs have been first created in historic Athens throughout the twenty first century
- Features overviews of the background of the reception of Greek drama in so much international locations of the world
- Includes chapters masking the reception of Greek drama in sleek opera and film
Read Online or Download A Handbook to the Reception of Greek Drama (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory_1 books
Charting the real odyssey of an staggering guy as he struggles to discover non secular fulfilment and political pre-eminence. Made Emperor, Julian makes an attempt to abolish Christianity and restoration the previous gods. yet met with fierce resistance, this nice free-thinker turns into a tyrant extra hated than his brutal predecessor, Constantius.
This booklet, first released in 1988, doesn't quandary the idea of poetry loads because the poetry of idea: a poetry that theorizes, that has a "view" on issues, that thinks. What or what issues does poetry take into consideration, and what will we suggest by means of pondering? the writer makes an attempt to respond to those questions by way of studying the paintings of 3 poets – Wallace Stevens, César Vallejo, and René Char – and displays upon the poetry itself.
Within the early 1300s, Dante Alighieri got down to write the 3 volumes which make the up The Divine Comedy. Purgatorio is the second one quantity during this set and opens with Dante the poet picturing Dante the pilgrim popping out of the pit of hell. just like the Inferno (34 cantos), this quantity is split into 33 cantos, written in tercets (groups of three lines).
Because the e-book of her novel Shell Shaker in 2001, Choctaw author LeAnne Howe has emerged as a significant voice in twenty-first-century American literature. recognized for developing advanced works of fiction, poetry, functionality paintings, and feedback that catch the complexities of local American existence, Howe deftly interrogates the histories of oppression, either cultural and linguistic, through the usa.
- Neon Visions: The Comics of Howard Chaykin
- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
- Irony and the Ironic: Volume 12 (The Critical Idiom Reissued)
- Gender Reconstructions: Pornography and Perversions in Literature and Culture
Extra resources for A Handbook to the Reception of Greek Drama (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception)
A Handbook to the Reception of Greek Drama (HCRZ - Wiley Blackwell Handbooks to Classical Reception) by Betine van Zyl Smit